Open Field Test
Apparatus and Equipment The Open Field apparatus is a square arena that is available in a 27 x 27 cm and 50 x 50 cm sizes […]
|Removable base for easy clean||Removable base for easy clean||Removable base for easy clean|
|Acrylic||Acrylic||Large singular box can serve as large Open Field|
|Easy clean with 70% Ethanol||Easy clean with 70% Ethanol||Separator included dividing into 4 individual mouse/rat boxes|
|Matte Finish for non shine||Matte Finish for non-shine||Acrylic|
|No odors||No odors||Easy clean with 70% Ethanol|
|Matte Finish for non-shine|
The Open Field Test is a popular protocol used to assess exploratory behavior and anxiety. Thigmotaxis in the open field is used to evaluate anxiolytic, anxiogenic, and even non-pharmacological treatments. Ambulation is the most common behavior studied with this maze, but others such as latency or rearing can also be measured. In addition, objects can be added for a modification similar to the novel object recognition field.
- Walls can be both opaque or clear. We recommend that clear walls are used for measurements of anxiety, while opaque walls are used if assessments include novel object recognition.
- Walls are easily detachable for easy cleaning.
- Grid floor inserts are available for video tracking.
Apparatus and Equipment
The Open Field apparatus is a square arena that is available in a 27 x 27 cm and 50 x 50 cm sizes to accommodate different sized animals. The arena is surrounded by high walls to prevent the subjects from escaping the apparatus. In general, the walls are clear. However, opaque colors and matte finish are also available. Floor inserts for the apparatus are available with or without gridlines. These gridlines divide the area into equal smaller squares and can be helpful for both manual scoring, as well as video recording and scoring with tracking software. A square area in the very center of the area may also be outlined.
- The open-field test was developed by C. S. Hall in the early 1930s.
- Open Field task is used in the assessment of locomotion, exploratory and anxiety-related
- The open field task explores the innate thigmotaxic responses and exploratory drive.
- Hall’s used the rate of defecation and urination as a measure of emotionality.
- Open field test is a simple and easily modifiable apparatus with a wide range of research applications including aging, drug effects, and lesions.
- Open field tasks may not provide a specific measure of anxiety. Hence, it should be used in conjunction with other behavioral batteries.
- Open field task may also not satisfactorily differentiate anxiety from fear.
Mouse, Rat, XS, Mouse (Set of 4), Rat (Set of 4), XS (Set of 4)
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Be the first to ask a question about this product.
There are no reviews yet.